Monday, August 27, 2012

Gearing up for Fall - Our Weekly Scedule

Homeschooling is a dynamic experience and it's subject to change.  But, like all important things in life, it's helpful to have a plan.  Without a plan you'll do a lot of wheel-spinning, and you'll end up feeling frustrated that you didn't find the time for exciting ideas.

Our plan is simply a designated time for learning activities.

It ends up looking something like this:
The yellow areas are study time  The blue areas are weekly outings and the green is SQUIRT. Sustained Quiet Uninterrupted Independent Reading Time.  This is quiet time for everyone in the house and it's from 2pm-3pm every day.

The day starts at 8:30 after breakfast cleanup.  We break for a substantial snack at 10:30 and have lunch at 1:30.

Within this framework, I will build a plan for the specific subjects to be tackled each day.  I'll use my time estimations and goals from my past post to fill in the a rough idea of which subjects on which days.

Do you use a weekly time allocation schedule?

Related posts

2 comments:

  1. Yes, we use a timetable. I found it cuts down with the arguments about learning time as my daughter knows what to expect. We also get a lot more done! If she finishes what she needs to do in a shorter space, she can choose to have some free time choosing a game or something in our learning room, or she can go on to the next subject and finish earlier for the day. I like the allocated reading time...I'm stealing that idea!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such great reasons to have a schedule! I find the same thing. In fact, the most important thing for my kids is the daily scheduled TIME expectation...more so than the actual curriculum being consistent.

    Steal away, that's the beauty of a blog!

    ReplyDelete