Monday, April 20, 2009

Kids in Mind Movie Ratings


I know this topic isn't directly related to homeschooling, but this website has to be the greatest invention since the VCR!  Kids in Mind movie ratings is an online resource for determining the appropriateness of movies for children.

Each film is rated according to the level of sex/nudity, violence/gore, and profanity.  Each element is scored from 1-10.  1 being mild and 10 being extreme.

The site doesn't stop there, however.  It then procedes to outline the details which gave the film the rating.  So in the sexuality description it might say something like "A woman wears a short skirt.  A man kisses a woman on the cheek."  '

I love this site and have found the ratings to be fairly consistent.  I know that my sons' violence levels are a 2 for the youngest and 3 for the oldest.  So I can use the search feature to find films that have violence ratings of 2 or less for family viewing.

Another interesting feature is that it lists topics for discussion that are presented in the film.  

This has been a great help when my kids ask about seeing a particular movie.  I might want to still pre-screen some of it, but I have a better idea what I might be looking for!  

No comments:

Post a Comment